People seem to think that playing music is this glamorous thing that they wish they had the talent to do, and I suppose it is sometimes. I've had some good shows along with the bad, but mostly there's been the aspect of playing music that non-players aren't aware of: the tense band meetings, the creative differencse, the unpredictable temperament of fellow band members. All these things exist, and they are universal. Just ask any musician and if they've been playing a while, they can most likely give you several examples of each.
Which brings me to my current new venture. I've decided to do a solo bass/vocal thing that will hopefully be interesting enough for others to enjoy, and it will push me to develop my playing. Also - since I really haven't found the right people to play with yet, maybe it's time to go solo anyway.
I don't really know what will happen or if this will go over with anyone other than myself, but I'm getting old, and I need to try new things. And, I just got my first cake order for my other new venture - which I haven't named yet, but basically it's going to be a cake shop of sorts. That's still in the works, but it's good to know there's some immediate interest. There might be hope for me yet in finding my place in this world!
So I have to reflect on something that happened to me last week. There is a time in everyone's life, I think, when they realize that they and a good friend of many years have come to a point when they really don't have that much in common anymore, and perhaps it's time to have an informal parting of ways and come together again later in life, if destiny so ordained it. I sort of quietly came to this conclusion with someone in my life, and it did make me sad. We've known each other since high school, and he had ended up living in my area - so we never really lost touch with each other. But the last time I saw him, he didn't seem that concerned with connecting again, though I hadn't seen him in months. And I really didn't feel like making the effort either, it turned out. I just went home feeling a bit out of sorts, and a little forlorn.
But life goes on. I envision us crossing paths in a year, maybe at the market or at some random public place. Maybe then we'll remember each other, and everything that transpired before we parted ways, and recall that we were important to each other once. I'm sure if that happens, neither will acknowledge the lapse of time, and we'll carry on like true friends do. One can hope, anyway.
1 comment:
Yeah, it's a bummer to loose touch with someone you have been close to for a long time. My wife is having a similar problem with her best friend of many years; they are just drifting apart and it hurts her.
On the other hand, it's just a pleasure to look for and hook up with someone you haven't talked to in many a year, don't you think?
Post a Comment