Thursday, February 16, 2006

J. Thomas

Yes, his name is John Thomas. It really is.

I thought of him the other day. I often have periods of nostalgic memories in my car, and that morning on the way to work he came to mind. John was one of the most American looking guys I've ever come across - blonde hair, blue eyes and six feet tall. He also kinda looked like Stewart Copeland from The Police. He was, in fact, a drummer, which is how I met him.

John and I became involved first in this terrible reggae band I was in during the part of my 20's when I just wanted to do stuff without really thinking them through first. After that we volunteered to be part of a doomed project that was put together to play Top 40 in Taipei, along with some other foolish people who thought it was a swell idea. It hadn't been a total disaster, and we did have some fun while we were there. All in all it had been a poor decision, but during the whole experience he and I became good friends. One reason I enjoyed his company so much was that we both would have giggle fits just being around each other, like we were in elementary school. That's a rare thing between those of the opposite sex, I think. He also was amazingly calm and together during our Taiwan ordeal, and never blamed me afterwards though I think it was me that talked him into going. Now that's a pal!

John eventually moved to New York to try his luck in the music scene. Eventually, he ended up getting a teaching degree and marrying the anesthesiologist who put him under during some surgery he had to have. I believe he has kids now, too. We don't keep in touch anymore, unfortunately, but perhaps we'll cross paths again. For now it's enough that I had enjoyed his company and gotten through a really very silly time in my music career. Well, one of many silly times, actually.

Thanks, John - wherever you are!

1 comment:

Batmensch said...

Yeah, John! I was wondering what happened to him ...