Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Blank Mind

Here's the truth of this blank mind problem: it's a lie.

First of all, your mind isn't blank. You're thinking about why you can't think of anything. This alone leads to wonder and anxiety, two mental states that are very productive in the area of random thought generation. What's wrong with me? Why can't I think of anything? I used to be good at this. I can clearly remember a time when this wasn't an issue, and now ...well, dangit, I just can't think of anything. Then the random thoughts eventually form into a cohesive idea, and that's when you realize, wow - my mind isn't blank anymore.

But it wasn't in the first place, which leads us back to sentence one. Or, you could just shrug off the project for the day and go read on the porch. Now, that's the best idea you've had all day. Alright then - off with you.

No comments: