Right now, I'm making the first fire of the year, and I'm listening to what I believe is Brian Eno. It’s all very ambient, ethereal stuff, perhaps cleverly conceived to make one stop and breathe, and be in the moment.
What I’m really doing right now is trying to make time stop. Perhaps not stop…more like slow down. I’m at the end of a Sunday and normally I’ve given myself too much to do for the weekend: cooking, laundry, errands, etc. Sure, everyone does it – and we don’t really get around to getting everything done, do we? Well, I do. I have to. I’ve discovered that in the last few years I’ve inadvertently programmed myself to multitask to the point of imminent explosion. I suspect it was a fear of being bored, but I’m pretty sure I went through a mad exploration of potential interests and passions. As a result, I started my own business, got into a successful indie rock band, and also try and write when I can, which unfortunately has not been very often. And since they discovered all sorts of usefulness for me at work, I’m pretty overtaxed there, too.
Hence my new mission in life: relax the opportunity arises. I know what I want to do, but I don’t have to do them all in one day, or even in one week. The plan, should I stick to it, is to pick one or two major things to accomplish, and make sure there’s some days where I just don’t do anything. Oddly, this is hard for me, but I have had to really rethink what it means to be accomplishing something. Isn’t doing nothing an accomplishment of sorts? Oh, yes. I think so. You make time stop, you make a fire, and you listen to Eno until the water is boiling so you can make spaghetti for dinner. That’s it.
Life doesn’t have to be that tough, now, does it?
No comments:
Post a Comment