Saturday, August 27, 2005

The State of Things Thus Far

Fear is this odd emotion that takes many forms. Today, it has chosen to manifest itself as hesitancy and unsureness on my part in regard to my future as a successful writer.

I'm sitting in a coffee joint (the friendler, less agressive version of Starbuck's), listening to a safe music track and using my laptop for the first time. It's not really my personal laptop - it's from my workplace, and through a series of circumstances, I have acquired it and managed to keep my desktop as well. Hey, they never said I couldn't take it out of the office, right? Anyway - now I have no excuse to not pursue this elusive muse of mine. Besides, I'm in charge of writing the newsletter for my team, and so I consider this an excercise in furthering the completion of that particular task. (oooh, didn't I just sound smart just now? It must be the effects of this laptop technology. Maybe it's like wearing glasses. I'm sure I look more intelligent tapping away at this thing)

So today I have this weird sense of contentment - weird because it's not often I feel this. Things are going to be busy soon enough, and this nice bit of me time will be a priceless memory. I had things I wanted to do, but they're just not that urgent. That's what the weekend is for, right? I feel like I should get started on the novel thing for October 1 when it starts. The site said you can have an outline, you just can't use something you've started and paste it in. Can I write a novel in a month? I think it came out to 150 words a day or something like that. No stopping, no rewriting, just write. It's an interesting challenge, and I do like a good challenge. I'd love to get published again.

Okay - time to worship the muse. I'm stepping closer to the edge of the precipice and getting ready to jump....

No comments: